top of page

.

Fine quality Longcase clock by the renown and historical clock maker & bell founder Joseph Eayre of St.Neots, Cambridgeshire.

Fine Oak and Ebonised case with its original door lock, key and escutcheon complete with the original trunk locking lever for the hood.

The hood complete with original glazed sides.

The fine birdcage 30 hour movement has recently been cleaned, oiled and regulated, however regulation may be required once the clock has been set up in place.

The dial is superbly engraved with Bee’s & Bird’s to the matted centre, silvered chapter ring engraved Jos [Joseph] Eayre St. Neots.

The dial, weight, pendulum and movement are totally original to the clock which is rarely found these days with the seating board sitting perfectly upon the cheeks.

189cm High

You would be very pushed to find a clock of this age by this maker that has the originality this has…

EAYRES:

Joseph Eayres was brother to Thomas Eayres of Kettering also a renown clock maker, he set up his own bell foundry in The Priory in St Neots around 1735.

His brother, Thomas, was twenty years of age when baptised, and probably Joseph Eayre was about the same at the time referred to.

The earliest date, so far known of his bells, is that on the ring at Chatteris, Cambs., 1735, which goes to show that he must have begun founding immediately or soon after his baptism as above. His bells in Hunts range from (Yelling tenor) 1739 to (Fenstanton second) 1771.

For his foundry he erected a lofty brick building at St. Neot's, in the Priory, in the form of a bell, one of the most prominent objects of the town. The first mention of him in the St. Neot's parish-books is 23rd March 1737.

These two extracts are from St. Neot’s Registers:-

Buried July 5. 1769 - Sarah wife of Joseph Eayre.

July 26. 1772 - Joseph Eayre.

The signature of Joseph Eayre appears in the Vestry Minute-book on 27th March, 1769, 17th April, 1770, and 3rd July, 1770. There is nothing in the registers to show that he had any family.

Joseph Eayre, by will dated 26th May, 1772, bequeathed £100 to the Minister and Churchwardens of St. Neot's, to place the same amount at interest or in the purchase of Stock in the public funds, and to distribute the interest or dividends, in the first week of Christmas holidays every year, among such poor inhabitants of St. Neot's as they should think proper. This sum was advanced for the use of the parish, and employed towards the purchase of a workhouse; and by the deed of conveyance of the workhouse to trustees, which is dated June, 1778, a term of a thousand years was created for securing the sum of £100 with lawful interest. The interest, £5 per annum, was paid regularly until 1843; about this time the workhouse was sold under the sanction of the Poor Law Commissioners, and the above sum of £100 was transferred to the Commissioners for paving and lighting the town of St. Neot's, who gave their bond to the Vicar and Churchwardens, 18th September, 1843; for this they pay interest at four per cent. per annum.

Joseph Eayre was appointed one of the Surveyors of Highways, 1738 to 1740, and Constable 1741-2.

His signature also occurs in the Parish Minute-book, 1751 to 1771.

Joseph Eayre of St. Neots SOLD

1.150,00£Precio
    bottom of page